Thursday, March 17, 2005

Just being nice

The New York Times > Opinion > Op-Ed Columnist: Who Gets It? Hillary: "Mrs. Clinton is also hard to dismiss as a screechy obstructionist because she's gone out of her way to be collegial in the Senate and to work with Republicans from Trent Lott to Sam Brownback. Senator John Kerry never seemed much liked by his colleagues, while other senators seem to like Mrs. Clinton. Perhaps it's that, according to New York magazine, she surprises other senators by popping up during meetings and asking: Anybody want a coffee?"

I was in a group job interview in college. There were about 50 of us and we had to break into groups of 6-8 to do some exercises. Halfway through we had a break. One of the other candidates had just broken their leg so I asked, like I hope anyone would, "Can I get you a soda?". I learned later (after I was hired) that my offer had been noticed favorably by the observers. I hope people don't get hung up about "a women offering to get coffee", but notice and instead approve of a person offering to do something small and nice for others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home