Thursday, December 29, 2005

"For tourists we have fish": A trip to Libya (Michael J. Totten)

LA Weekly: Features: In the Land of the Brother Leader
The few men I did see walked or huddled together. They looked sullen, heavy, severe. I felt raw and exposed, wondering what on earth they must have thought when they saw an obvious foreigner wandering around the desolate streets.

So I did what I could to find out. I smiled at everyone who walked past. You can learn a lot about a people and a place by trying this out. In New York, people ignore you. In Guatemala City, people will stare. In Libya, they all smiled back, every last one of them, no matter how grumpy or self-absorbed they looked two seconds before.

I never detected even a whiff of hostility, not from one single person. Libyans seemed a decent, gentle, welcoming people with terrible luck. It wasn’t their fault the neighborhood stank of oppression.
A well written view of a place most of us don't know anything about. I hope nothing happens to him during these visits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home